|OS family||Real-time operating system|
|Source model||Closed source|
|Latest release||5.0 / February 2020; 1 year ago|
|Marketing target||Embedded systems|
|Platforms||ARM, PowerPC, x86, SPARC|
- Drivers Kontron Embedded Computer
- Drivers Kontron Embedded Computing
- Drivers Kontron Embedded Compliance
- Drivers Kontron Embedded Components
- Drivers Kontron Embedded Compact
- Drivers Kontron Embedded Computers
Kontron 3U VPX computer certified by Alstom at the SIL-4 level for safe railway applications. Extractable Line Replacement Units (LRU) in order to provide a low maintenance time and repair (MTTR) Computing unit featuring SBCs and an ethernet switch card. Kontron's diverse product portfolio includes: boards and mezzanines, Computer-on-Modules, HMIs and displays, systems, and custom capabilities. Kontron is a Premier member of the Intel Embedded and Communications Alliance. For half-a-decade now, Kontron has been named a VDC Platinum Embedded Board Vendor. Kontron Drivers and Interfaces. 8 Embedded Mini ITX Motherboard Parallel Interface: Kontron Specialized Interfaces No: No:.
PikeOS is a commercial, hard real-time operating system (RTOS) that offers a separation kernel based hypervisor with multiple logical partition types for many other operating systems (each called a GuestOS) and applications. It enables users to build certifiable smart devices for the Internet of things according to the high quality, safety and security standards of different industries.
PikeOS combines a real-time operating system (RTOS) with a virtualization platform and Eclipse-based integrated development environment (IDE) for embedded systems. It is a commercial clone of L4 microkernel family. PikeOS has been developed for safety and security-critical applications with certification needs in the fields of aerospace & defense, automotive & transport, industrial automation & medical, network infrastructures, and consumer electronics.
One of the key features of PikeOS is the ability to safely execute applications with different safety and security levels concurrently on the same computing platform. This is achieved by the strict spatial and temporal segregation of these applications by means of software partitions. A software partition can be seen as a container with pre-allocated privileges that can have access to memory, central processing unit (CPU) time, input/output (I/O), but also a predefined list of PikeOS services. With PikeOS, the term application refers to an executable linked against the PikeOS application programming interface (API) library and running as a process inside a partition. Due to the nature of the PikeOS API, applications can range from simple control loops up to complete paravirtualized guest operating systems like Linux or hardware virtualized guests.
Software partitions are also called virtual machines (VMs), because it is possible to implement a complete guest operating system inside a partition which executes independently from other partitions and thus can address use cases with mixed criticality. PikeOS can be seen as a Type 1 hypervisor.
Supported toolchain, IDE CODEO
The Eclipse-based IDE CODEO supports system architects with graphical configuration tools, providing all the components that software engineers will need to develop embedded applications, as well as including comprehensive wizards to help embedded project development in a time-saving and cost-efficient way:
- Guided configuration
- Remote debugging (down to the hardware instruction level)
- Target monitoring
- Remote application software deployment
- Timing analysis
Several dedicated graphical editing views are supporting the system integrator to always keep the overview on important aspects of the PikeOS system configuration showing partition types, scheduling, communication channels, shared memory and IO device configuration within partitions.
Projects can be easily defined with the help of reusable templates and distributed to the development groups. Users can configure predefined components for their project and can also define and add other components during the development process.
Drivers Kontron Embedded Computer
- Real-time operating system including type 1 hypervisor defined for highly flexible configuration
- Supports fast or secure booting times
- Supporting mixed criticality via separation kernel in one system
- Configuration of partitions with time and hardware resources
- Kernel driver and user space drivers supported
- Hardware independence between processor types and families
- Easy migration processes and high portability on single- and multi-core
- Developed to support certification according to multiple safety & security standards
- Reduced time to market via standard development and verification tools
- Wide range of supported GuestOS types: APIs
- No export restriction: European solution
Safety certification standards according to:
- RTCA DO-178B/C
Security certification standards according to:
SYSGO is committed to establish the technology and business partnerships that will help software engineers to achieve their goals. As of October 2017, SYSGO is working with about 100 partners globally.
An excerpt of partners per category is mentioned below:
Drivers Kontron Embedded Computing
- Board vendors: Curtiss-Wright Controls Embedded Computing, Kontron, MEN or ABACO
- Silicon vendors: NXP, Renesas, Texas Instruments (TI), Xilinx, Infineon, NVidia or Intel
- Software partners: CoreAVI, wolfSSL, Aicas, AdaCore, Esterel, RTI, PrismTech, Datalight, Systerel, Imagination Technologies or RAPITA
- Tool partners: Lauterbach, Vector Software, Rapita, iSYSTEM
- Supported architectures: ARM, PowerPC, x86, or SPARC (on request)
Supported GuestOS types
Drivers Kontron Embedded Compliance
- Linux or Android (ideally SYSGO Linux distribution ELinOS)
- POSIX PSE51 with PSE52 extensions
- Ada, including Ravenscar profile
- and others
|Product Type||Product Version||Linked CODEO Version||Linked ELinOS Version||EOL|
|PikeOS||3.4 (non cert)||5.0, 6.0, 6.1, 6.2||5.2||Since 12/2017|
|PikeOS||3.4 (cert)||5.0, 6.0, 6.1, 6.2||5.2||LTS on x86|
|PikeOS||3.5||5.0, 6.0, 6.1, 6.2||6.0, 6.1||Since 12/2017|
|PikeOS||4.0||6.0, 6.1, 6.2||6.0, 6.1||Since 06/2019|
|PikeOS||4.1||6.1, 6.2||6.1||Announced for 04/2021|
|PikeOS||4.2 (non cert)||6.2||6.2||Current|
|PikeOS||5.0 (non cert)||7.0||7.0||Current|
- ^'Partner Directory'. SYSGO. Retrieved 12 October 2017.
Drivers Kontron Embedded Components
Drivers Kontron Embedded Compact
- PikeOS Product Note (PDF)
- PikeOS Flyer (PDF)